The following heads up was submitted by Chief Gallagher
Earlier this month, the Acushnet Building Commissioner and I responded to a residence at the request of the homeowner. In late summer 2019 the roof of their home was replaced. The contractor demolished the chimney to just below the roof line despite the chimney being active (vented natural gas furnace and natural gas hot water heater). The opening was covered by plywood and shingled over. Running hot, we had extremely high CO readings in the attic space and significant heat noted above the chimney.
The resident was referred to this particular company by a relative who also had a roof replaced.. It was later learned that the family member was told by this contractor that they would also have their chimney demolished and roofed over. Thankfully, a member of the family (a firefighter) pointed out to the contractor that the chimney was still being used to vent fossil fuel burning equipment.
With one attempted and one successful stupid act completed, the question needs to be asked, how many more homes have had an active chimney removed and the roof sealed?
My Building Commissioner has initiated an inquiry to the Department of Professional Licensure. As a member of the BBRS I will be keeping an eye on this case. Chiefs may want to forward this communication to their Building Officials.
Local Building Officials are encouraged to contact Mr. Jim Marot, Acushnet Building Commissioner, if they have any questions.